Monday 23 June 2014

HS3 - Well that is a surprise

Quick, somebody shot me - While listening to Today on Radio 4 this morning, I found myself agreeing with George Osborne.

I know, it is frightening. But he has a point, and it's about time we started talking about it.

The need for a third high speed railway line.

Mind you, we haven't finished the second one yet.

I have said before, that when the Channel Tunnel was completed, HS1 should have opened at the same time. And by then, we would have started building HS2. Just imagine for a moment, where we would be now if we can actually built high speed lines one after the other?

Well, the Channel Tunnel was opened in 1994 - 20 years ago. So I suspect we would be building a line to the West Country by now, rather than just talking about a third line from Manchester to Leeds.

Agreed that hindsight is a wonderful thing - yes we should have done that - and I still fail to understand why we never did. Well yes I do - politics is the usual problem. And Nimbyism is another.

And before anyone asks, yes I would be happy to have a railway at the end of my garden - it would look a damn sight better than the houses that are currently there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment