Wednesday 28 December 2011

Railworks 3


I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas? I know I did. Mainly because it meant I could spend some quality time with my family, especially the kids. 

But I did buy myself a little treat - in the guise of some computer game - RAILWORKS 3 (or otherwise known as Train Simulator 2012). And it was a little treat at only £2.49 (on sale at 90% off). Who would be stupid not to buy it.

Since Trainz 2004, I haven't really had time to play with a train simulator program. And since the summer, I had been following Railworks 3 with interest. Based on the pictures and videos I had seen, it looked like a great little program, with a sense of realism that I haven't seen in a rail simulator in a long time. And I wasn't to be disappointed.

There are several different routes available in the game itself, though you can buy additional routes and rolling stock. The available ones are either American, British and German. So the ones that interest me (naturally) are the British ones - notable being London Paddington to Oxford and Newcastle to York. 

The picture above is a screenshot from an mid day non stop service from Newcastle to York, somewhere between the two, running a few minutes late - largely because I hit the reserve button by mistake, everything just stopped, and I went back half a mile. The one below is from an 18:05 London Paddington to Frome service, taken at the start. Stopping only at Twyford, I made a mistake half way through when I hit the emergency break button because I misread a signal - things happen.

It's going to take a while to get the hang of things, and may be a while before I am creating my own routes. But for £2.49, I don't mind. And based on what I have experienced so far, I would well recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment